Here is the current state of the modern San Diego wildlife mural. As you can see, now that the birds and mammals are pretty much done. I am rapidly progressing on the plants and landscape.
I think this is perhaps the best sycamore tree I’ve ever painted. Note how it looked sort of cartoon-y in its early lay-in. Hopefully, it looks more natural now. I detailed the red cedars just to the right of the sycamore. I also worked on the poison oak behind the black bear, and a little bit on the foreground prickly pear and the bunch grasses to their right.
I paid more attention to rendering the mid-ground yucca here, as well as the palmettos between the yucca. I added detail to the misty distant mountains, too.
The ground beneath the bobcat has much more texture and interest now, especially since I added the datura flowers just below the bobcat. I haven’t yet painted their leaves, though. There is more rendering in the sagebrush and the foreground prickly pears. I softened the edges of most of the painting’s flying hawk and eagle wings, and brought some of the sky color into them to make them more a part of the picture.
The foreground prickly pear on this side of the mural has received more detail, and the flowers of the century plant/agave are no longer just a big, pale blob. I still need to detail the leaves at this agave plant’s base. I added more specific detailing to the distant mountains, too. I haven’t yet enlarged the size of the flat top buckwheat flowers above the yellow-billed magpie.
That sort of airbrush-y sky in the upper right corner is not the way the painting looks right now. When I shot this, I didn’t notice the shadows of the leaves of the tree the painting was leaning against until I had downloaded my photos. I didn’t feel like re-shooting it just for that corner, so I did a quick, crude, crappy touch-up in PhotoShop.
I’ll be more careful next time…
Next: More Refining of This Painting