Me, Monster Kid!

One Big Happy Monster Kid!

Just a quick note of thanks before I dash up to WonderCon in San Francisco to all my friends and fans (and those who are both) who voted for me for the Rondo Awards.

I woke up to an e-mailbox full of congratulations this morning. I won a Rondo Award as an inductee into the Monster Kid Hall of Fame! I don’t know if I’d be as excited to win an Oscar.

I have always felt such a part of the Monster Kid community. Most of my friends who share an enthusiasm for All Things Monster all started like me — as monster fans who eventually grew up and somehow ended up in this crazy biz, creating our own creatures for film with fellow creators who grew up reading Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine.

I gotta get going, but I can’t take off without at least thanking the Godfather of us all, Uncle Forry Ackerman. Thanks, Forry! You sowed your own version of the hydra’s teeth. Wherever the pages of your magazine fell, Monster Kids sprang up!

WOO HOO!

15 Responses to “Me, Monster Kid!”

Congratulations, Bill!

You deserve it!

2. John Gandour says:

Congrats Bill… great honor for you…. any chance of doing any children’s books in the near future?

Have a great time at WonderCon.

3. Rebekah says:

Congratulations Bill!

Congratulations!
    Yep, even though I didn’t end up in the film industry Famous Monsters sure got an interest in all things monsters started in me.
    I’d also have to credit Creepy #7 (the first Frazetta art I can remember seeing), Harryhausen’s First Men in the Moon, and the U. of Maryland’s Hammer horror Halloween films where I got see Horror of Dracula and Curse of the Werewolf on the big screen.
    Glory days.
    Again good on ya, and congrats monster kid Stout.

5. steve says:

Hi there, am at Wondercon now, what’s ur table number??

6. John Gandour says:

Bill Totally off the subject but how did you like RANGO… I believe I read that it’s the first film that LUCASFILMS did all the effects… liked the character designs and some of the dialogue parts seemed slow and could have used some editing.

Keep up the great work.

Errrr…it was Booth #711. I hope you found me! I usually don’t access or use computers while I’m at a convention.

I turned my latest dinosaur book, Dinosaur Discoveries, into a children’s book: New Dinosaurs A to Z. It’s smaller in size (like a Little Golden Book) with 31 entries instead of the 61 dinosaurs in Dinosaur Discoveries. I simplified the language as well. It is also available as an e-book for the Apple iPad. I read the text; there are ambient jungle sounds behind my reading. I also drew three new pictures (and, hence, wrote three new text entries) for it.

Hi John,
    I haven’t seen RANGO. I’ve been way too busy to go out to the movies. I’ve heard good stuff about it, though.

Now I’m getting ready for Monsterpalooza this coming weekend.

I didn’t get the J J Abrams/Steven Spielberg gig (the Powers That Be decided there wasn’t enough time left for me to do it). It was for their upcoming summer blockbuster film SUPER 8. I got to read the script, though. I signed a non-disclosure agreement so I can’t reveal anything about the movie. I will tell you this, though: J J’s script is absolutely brilliant! It’s one of the best screenplays I have ever read! I can’t wait to see the film! Woo hoo!

I can’t understand why spielberg didn’t directing SUPER 8. The previews seem to show that it’s tailor made for him.
    Any insights Mr. Stout?

11. John Gandour says:

JJ Abrams is a REAL talent… great to hear you enjoyed the script… he did so well on the STAR TREK relaunch and he also the creator of one of my favorite shows on TV…FRINGE… real good to hear they just renewed it for another year.

Looking forward to SUPER 8!

Hi Aaron,
    You’re right; it seems a perfect fit for Steven. Why didn’t he direct it? My guess is this:
    1) J J wrote it (and the script really seems to come right from J J’s heart); and
    2) Knowing Steven, I imagine he’s got a lot on his plate right now (like he always does!).

Thanks for the insight. Speilberg hasn’t directed a film since the last Indy Jones outing, right? I hope he gets back behind the camera some day soon.

Hi Aaron,
    You’re right. Steven’s got one film as a director in pre-production and two films in post right now (go to http://www.imdb.com).

Some of my favorite films by Steven were fairly recent ones: A. I. Artificial Intelligence, Catch Me If You Can, Minority Report and The Terminal.

Thanks for the update on Spielberg’s directorial work, Mr. Stout. I was looking at War Horse in the library as one to possibly get for my daughters. I’ll have to give it a read myself.