2010 Birthday

I had an unusual birthday on Saturday. First off, I received over 700 birthday greetings from my Facebook friends. Yikes! As someone fairly new to Facebook, this was a huge surprise! Thanks, everyone!

My wife had to run down to San Diego to help tend to our grandson Jesse. Feeling guilty for abandoning me on my special day, she promised me that the rest of September would be celebrated as my birthday!

I spent most of my birthday working (pretty typical for me).

My friend Samantha Holmes has been staying with us this past week as she and Roger Lay edit her film “Lucky Day” (my acting debut). I drew a logo for Sam’s new company, Leaping Lizards Entertainment. I also completed the rough to a new Firesign Theatre book cover.

Sam and I went to the local Farmer’s Market Saturday morning. I had a beef tamal and a pork tamal for breakfast there and bought two more beef tamales for my breakfast this morning. Yum! I also picked up some great peaches and nectarines at the Farmer’s Market.

Saturday evening I helped to celebrate the engagement of the eldest son of some dear friends of ours.

I came home about 10PM and looked for some monster movies to watch. Sam joined me later that evening after her editing chores and Film Biz Meet ‘n’ Greet opportunities were completed. We watched something together but I don’t specifically recall what that was (maybe a couple of episodes of “The Comeback”) .

All in all, a pretty low key day for a very happy and lucky guy (the little fella below, my first grandson, is one reason I’m feeling so lucky).

Jesse1

7 Responses to “2010 Birthday”

1. Bill Goodwin says:

Happy Birthday, Sir! And I must correct you: your acting debut was in The Return of the Living Dead, pushing a shopping cart (these things come back around, ya know)!

I found the step-by-step record of your “bestiary” painting (the one with the chimp at the easel) fascinating. Imagine my amazment when I stumbled on the genuine article at neighbor-and-pal Ray Bradbury’s house, and discovered its diminutive size (8×10?). I’d assumed it was HUGE. Gods, man, the detail! As an untrained semi-pro illustrator, I can only say, W-O-W.

Thanks for all the creatures, silly, scaly or sublime!

2. Bill Goodwin says:

P.–idiot me–S.

“Menagerie” not “Bestiary.” And remembering my original intention, before I got excited over fangs and feathers, Congratulations on the Birth of your Grandson, and all the best to you and yours.

What a beautiful baby.

The beauty of innocence….wrapped in an unknowing trust in those who love him to protect him…

Hi Bill,
    IMDB has it wrong; I wasn’t the bum pushing a shopping cart in The Return of the Living Dead. That was an actual actor. I was the wino the punks step over in the beginning of the film. Not really an acting part (although I took my role very, very seriously and gained 20 or 30 lbs. for the part as per the director’s instructions); more like set dressing. I should have rolled over so you could have seen my face.

You saw an 8″ x 10″ giclee canvas print of “Menagerie – Everybody’s A Critic” at Ray’s home. The original painting is currently on display at the Forest Lawn Museum in Glendale, CA. It’s 4 ft. x 5 ft. The museum also has a 24″ x 30″ giclee canvas print for sale of “Menagerie” in their shop.

Hi Rick,
    Very well put, my friend.

More “acting” stuff (my extensive acting resumé):
    I was an extra in the blue moss party sequence in the Firesign Theatre film “Everything You Know Is Wrong”.

I was the wino the punks step over (Scuzz tosses me a dime) in the beginning of “The Return of the Living Dead”. I also operated the spine of the Half Corpse.

I was the voice of a the black robot working for the bad guys in David Lynch’s “Dune”.

Tobe Hooper named the doctor after me in our remake of “Invaders From Mars” (but I wasn’t in the film).

“Lucky Day” is really my acting debut. I have most of the lines in this short film. There is only one other actor in the film: Melina Bielefelt.

I’ve been interviewed and appeared on screen in a slew of documentaries but, although I’m “on” (presenting a more focused, compressed and camera-friendly/audience-friendly version of myself than you would find in reality) in those films, I don’t really count that very much as acting (I didn’t have to learn any lines, although I often did re-takes of what I was saying).

Unless my memory is failing me (a distinct possibility), that’s it.

Happy Birthday! You gotta be what? 45?
    So you couldn’t find a monster movie to watch?
    A friend and I were talking about some of our best loved films as Halloween approaches. One bit of trivia he shared was that Lon Chaney Jr. actually donned the Frankenstein make-up in one scene of Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein when Glen Strange broke his ankle. I am just tickled to learn stuff like that.
    On my end of the conversation I was able to recommend Hammer Films’ The Gorgon as the one film to my knowledge where set designer Bernard Robinson made his haunted castle look derelict and cobwebby.
    Those give you any leads, Mr. Stout?
    Best Wishes as you celebrate all month long.

7. Bill Goodwin says:

I had to Google “giclee.” So much for thinking I wasn’t entirely out of touch, since art-directing action figures in the early 90s (gee, how do you get the wood frame through the rollers, and doesn’t the guy behind the counter try to stop you?).

This time I’ve read your blogs in proper order. The show in Glendale sounds like a must-see and I will head over the hill soonest. And if anyone could do a “micro” menagerie, I’m sure it would be yourself. The scales and tones on the dinosaur are particularly fascinating to me. And the star nosed mole–what a choice!

Acting sounds like a too-long delayed area for you (the bum in ROTLD may have been a “prop” but I’d call spine-manipulating a performance). Really, I’d call any accomplished animal (especially fantastic-animal) artist an actor, in the same way I consider Ray Harryhausen an actor. When you create a being other than yourself, in your head, and then bring him/her/it to life for other people, that’s acting. The rest is secondary–and I’m never surprised when people accomplished in one medium bleed over into another.

That IS one adorable kid. Wee bit of resemblence to Peter Lorre (in the photo)…but that’s fine for a baby! You must be very proud.