Phil Austin 1941–2015

My pal Phil Austin, a member of that legendary four-man comedy team known as The Firesign Theatre, has passed today. My heart and prayers go out to his dear wife Oona (Phil nicknamed her The Big Blonde).

NickDanger

Phil was a great writer, performer, musician and friend. His best known Firesign character was Nick Danger, Third Eye, a hilarious parody of 1940s hard-boiled detectives. When The Firesign Theatre broke up, Phil partnered with the Firesign’s David Ossman. One of the most brilliant and funny plays I ever saw was Austin and Ossman’s Radio Laffs of 1940. Phil also created solo works of comedy and music.

I am indebted to Phil for several reasons.

I met Phil and the boys in the mid-1970s. My publisher/comic book seller pal Dave Gibson had acquired permission to collect all of The Mixville Rocket (a sort of neighborhood humor fanzine produced by the guys) issues as well as The Firesign Sun Duck and publish them in a book. Dave asked me to do the cover. The Firesign guys loved my cover and asked me to do the cover for their next LP, In The Next World, You’re On Your Own. I got to attend their recording sessions and we became friends — especially after I found out they shared my love for the works of Harvey KurtzmanColumbia Records resisted using me (I was unknown) but Phil and the Firesign persisted and stuck by me as their choice. Columbia ended up loving my cover (covers, actually; I gave the LP two front covers so that no matter how the LP was placed in a record bin, the potential buyer was always seeing a front cover) and I began receiving regular cover work from Columbia. The Mixville Rocket cover was later re-cycled (with new dialogue) as the cover for their Rhino Records LP Lawyer’s Hospital.

FiresignLawyersBlog

Austin and Harry Shearer introduced me to the films of Preston Sturges when one night Phil and Oona invited me to their Wonderland Avenue Laurel Canyon hideaway to see a film screening (this was pre-video and VCRs) of The Great McGinty.

I collaborated with Phil on my first film, a movie version (shot to the comedy album) of Firesign’s Everything You Know Is Wrong LP (soon to be released on DVD; I recently drew the cover — see below). I built props and appeared as an extra in the movie. This was film making at its most basic and I learned a lot. Not too long after that I scored work on Buck Rogers and then Conan the Barbarian.

FiresignColorArtBlog

That’s Phil Austin hanging from the world bottom left with his fellow Firesigners.

Phil and I collaborated on several Firesign Theatre T-shirt designs for which, to my amazement,  I am still getting regular royalties!

BearWhizColorBlogHookerColorBlog

With his classic good looks and shockingly premature gray (and later, white) hair, Phil was the rock star of the group. I’ve always described The Firesign Theatre’s work as rock and roll comedy, so I was tickled to see Phil’s Wikipedia sidebar listing The Firesign Theatre as a “Music Group”. I know that music was very important to Phil; he saw to it that nearly all of his recorded collaborations had music or songs.

I got to spend time with all the Firesign guys but I think I spent the most time with Phil (and Oona). The last time I saw Phil was a couple of years ago at a Firesign performance in Barnsdall Park. We corresponded on FaceBook after that and I sent Phil and Oona some of my recent books. They had left Laurel Canyon a long time ago and had moved to an island near Seattle.

I’m already missing that guy…Peace be with you, brother….and lotsa laffs Upstairs.

12 Responses to “Phil Austin 1941–2015”

1. Sue (Foster) Miller says:

So sorry for the loss of your friend. As soon as I heard the news I immediately thought of you…Sue

2. Robert Stout says:

I still treasure the time you took me to the recording studio and I met Phil. Such a great guy. I went to their reunion tour in Berkeley and Phil remembered me. Class act all the way!

3. Brian Westley says:

Hey Mr. Stout, I’m one of the firesigntheatre.com webmasters (also one of the people responsible for getting some of your Firesign art back on T-shirts via the Firesign’s cafepress store, which is why Proctor sends you royalties — I’m wearing your Nick Danger as I type).

We’re all bummed out over Phil’s death; we’ll have a memorial for him at our regular Firesign chat next Thursday night if you’d like to show up (just go to firesigntheatre.com/chat around 6 PM Eastern/9 PM Pacific).

Phil used to show up to the chats on occasion which was always great — he even showed up when we held our first memorial after Peter died.

4. Brian Westley says:

Um, make that 9 PM Eastern 6 PM Pacific, the other way is metaphysically absurd…

5. Joel Hodgson says:

so interesting, I’m slowly piecing this all together as i recognized your name on the art for Lawyers Hospital and of course Nick Danger. But, It totally was lost on me that you illustrated my favorite Firesign cover “In the next world…” I should have known. Sorry for your loss too, and hopefully, we’ll meet again at a comicon down the road.

6. Dw Davis says:

Thanks for it all.

7. John Myers says:

The ability to make people laugh, without telling a joke, is a rare and wonderful talent. I laughed, thought, and laughed even louder. There is a lot less humor in the world today. I wonder who will step up to lead the march to Omaha.

8. Hemlock Stones (Genuine!) says:

Hello Mr. Stout,

Thank you for your heartfelt remembrances. Phil’s passing is a tremendous loss for all who love the Firesign Theatre—and that’s quite of few of us.

I am a long-time admirer of your work. The cover of “In the Next World, You’re on Your Own” is a classic; one of the best ever, in my book.

Thank you for your highly creative contributions.

9. Phil Vellender says:

Condolences to you and lovers of this amazing man and quartet. I first fell for Firesign in 1971. I can honestly say life changed for the better and London, England was never the same again. Nice going kid, see you on the funway which is already in progress.

10. Jenifer Morgan says:

So sorry for the loss of your friend.

All the guys were such a big part of my life, I can honestly say I learned what humor is from them (in between lapsing into fits of giggles). I knew every line from every album.

I enjoyed seeing them perform over the years and I am happy that we also did get to see them all together, once again, in Barnsdall Park in 2009.

My deepest condolences to Phil’s family…

11. Paul Rippey says:

So sad, and so missed – but what a wonderful contribution he made, and how much pleasure we got from him.

12. I was a great fan of Phil’s Firesign work. Roller Maidens was a classic and even the surreal Hollywood that portrayed during the Nightshift radio program was in a class by itself.

We really have no one like him in modern comedy. He was smart, quick witted, and innovative. I will miss him.