Success!

This will probably be a short entry; I only have short bursts of energy right now and I’m not supposed to sit for very long (to avoid blood clots).

I have two important messages to get across, though, that I don’t think should wait.

My surgery was a thorough success. My skillful surgeons told me that the operation went smoothly and that the cancer had not yet reached the borders of my prostate. The cancer was completely confined to my prostate. The nearby lymph nodes were also removed and biopsied. They were both cancer free. That means I am now completely cancer free!

I was recovering much quicker than expected. On the evening after my surgery, however, I got a kidney stone. I hit my morphine button quite a few times that night and over the next few days. After it passed I made myself go cold turkey (despite my nurse saying, “Oh, go ahead — just take a little hit”) to get rid of my morphine dependence. My withdrawal was unpleasant but brief.

Despite not yet having had a BM (I know, too much information), a usual prerequisite for release, on Friday I checked out of the hospital and went home. I just couldn’t take hospital life anymore (the food at lunch on Friday was the last straw).

So: I’m home, I hurt, I have no energy, but I’m very, very happy.

The other subject I wanted to address was the unbelievable outpouring of love, empathy, sympathy and support I have received from my family, friends and fans. It was completely unexpected. I guess that comes from spending so much time alone at the easel and drawing board!

I am truly, deeply moved by the expressions of support I have received. Thank you everyone. The love I feel from you is sure to make me heal even faster. I’m already getting ideas for projects….

OK…I gotta stand up and walk around. My love to you all!

Bill

11 Responses to “Success!”

It’s great to have you back! Good job with the morphine withdrawal too. Get your rest, as much as you can take of it, because once you get back to work it’s doubtful you’ll let up any time soon.
    Take care.

Rick Tucker

2. Jeff Doten says:

Glad you’re home and on your back. At least I assume you are since you shouldn’t sit. You don’t have to stand all night do you ? – Jeff

3. Scott Shaw! says:

Bil…

I only learned of your medical ordeal a few days ago from Hank Mayo. I’m sooo glad to hear about the positive results of your surgery. I know that everyone says this, but if there’s ANYTHING we can do to help you, just say the word. Lotsa love to you and your family.

Aloha,

Scott!

4. Nicole Tucker says:

After the news my dad sent me a little while back, it’s great to hear you’re all right! Rest easy and hope we continue to hear good news from you.
    -Nicole Tucker

5. Jimmy Simpson says:

I saw the news of your surgery on Mark Evanier’s blog. Glad to see that everything seems to be okay. Looking forward to seeing more of your art in the future and seeing you at future conventions.

6. Terry Childs says:

Saw the news on Mark Evanier’s site. Glad everything went well. I had the same procedure Jan 05, and life is good, sex too! Hope your recovery goes smoothly. Love your art. Have "The Gang’s All Here" hanging in the living room.

Good Luck

7. Greg Morrow says:

Bill:

A signed, framed print of Life before the Dinosaurs I hangs in a place of pride in my living room.

I am delighted to hear that everything went well, and that we’ll be expecting you to keep on producing great art for many years to come!

8. Terry Beatty says:

Bill:

Glad to hear your surgery was a success and you’re on the road to recovery. Take care and get back to drawin’ and paintin’ soon — we all need more of your art to look at!

Terry Beatty

9. IlJoon says:

Dear Bill,

Hadn’t checked your website since July after meeting you at Comic Con.

Just caught up with your blog entries. So happy to hear that your surgery went smoothly!

Wishing you a quick, full recovery.

With warmest regards,

IlJoon

10. Scott Conner says:

Great news!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. HELL YEAH
    Way to kick that Cancer in the balls bro! I knew you would dominate it. Take it easy, get your energy back, remember us fans and friends that love ya and look up to ya. I believe I’ll watch the Return of the Living Dead to celebrate. I’ll probably do the commentary and listen for you in between O’Bannons insane ramblings. 😉

~Dave Winfrey Jr.