Mondo Kong – Part One

Recently, I received a commission from Mondo, an Austin, Texas-based company (http://www.mondotees.com/Info_ep_2-1.html). For those of you out there who are not familiar with Mondo, they came up with a great idea. Mondo commissions their favorite contemporary artists to create new movie posters for old, classic films (and some popular current ones, as well). For example, Drew Struzan painted a new poster for the 1931 Frankenstein.

The posters are serigraphs (limited edition silkscreen prints). As this non-Twitter guy understands it, you have to be on Twitter to be able to purchase a Mondo poster at the time of release. The moment the poster goes on sale, a Twitter blast is sent out to all of the Mondo followers. Typically, their print run sells out in about ten minutes. The prints have an extremely healthy secondary market; many folks buy multiples as investments.

I was commissioned to create a new poster for my favorite movie of all time (and the first movie I ever saw): King Kong.

I thought you might like to follow the process of creating this poster from beginning to end.

Posted above are the thumbnail sketches I drew in my sketchbook, trying to come up with an idea and a design. I chose one of them and began to sketch it up full size (slightly larger than its final printed size of 36″ x 24″). Here’s that beginning (3H and HB pencils on extra heavyweight cold press illustration board):

To Be Continued…

6 Responses to “Mondo Kong – Part One”

Are you at liberty to show the finished art? I know that might not be possible given the exclusive nature of the execution and purpose, but it would be quite a boon to see it. I don’t do twitter so it’s unlikely I’ll ever get in on this.

Hi Rick,
    I don’t see why not, as long as I’m displaying it low rez. Mondo will have it in their archives, available as a low rez file after the edition is sold out, so it’s not like no one will ever be able to see it.

I forgot to mention that I believe one of the prints goes into the permanent collection of the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences (yup; the Oscar group).

Loos like it will be very cool!

4. Lee Copeland says:

I’m pretty excited to see this thing progress. I’ll check back.

5. Brant Elliott says:

Dear Bill,

I AM SALIVATING! MONDO has the greatest taste in the world to hire you to do a KONG serigraph. Please, if possible, sign me up to get one of these beauties when they are done. In the interim, I am going to revel in your blogs on the design process.

Knowing you are doing this print gives me hope for the declining craft of cinema. If it is only in having talented and passionate artists like you pay homage to the great film art of the past, so be it.

Is it just me, or is cinema now a relic of the past; to be studied like archeology or paleontology?

Sincerely,

Brant Elliott

Hey Mr. Stout,

I love this. The thumbnails are great, and I especially like the br… no, wait! Must be the kid sister of Frankenstein at the top of that page. The Kong drawing is coming along beautifully. I hear that Mondo also does T-shirts. If they only do a poster of this do you still have the rights to make a T-shirt of your own? I would definitely grab one of those.
    Thanks for the look at this.

Best Wishes,