Happy Birthday to Me…

Thanks to all my friends, family and fans (and all of you who cross over into a couple — or all three— of those cherished groups) for remembering me today with your birthday wishes. I’m trying really hard not to feel so…old.

So, how am I going to spend my day? You guessed it: Working! But on fun stuff. I’ve just finished inking the last of my 100 portraits for my Legends of the Blues book from Abrams. I colored one last night; I have 54 more to color by the end of this week (don’t worry; the coloring goes pretty darn fast on these).

Tonight also happens to be a salon night, so that’s where I’ll be this evening. Our group includes an extremely interesting variety of very successful artists, writers, pop stars, designers and a few film folks on occasion. We gather at the end of a cul-de-sac of a prominent Pasadena artist’s (not me) semi-private street full of craftsmen homes that he owns (!) for great (and funny) conversations, good wine and mediocre pizza. It’s a really nice break from the grind…plus, it’s right here in Pasadena (short drive!).

My studio disaster…er…situation: I got a little bit of an extension at my old place, which is good because the guy who owns what I hope to make my new space has a lot of heavy machinery he still needs to move out of there before I can move in — hopefully sooner rather than later, as I don’t want to have to move twice! The packing is going amazingly fast as well. My friends Kris and Matt and I have have packed over 200 boxes of books already — in just four days.

I’m trying not to get too excited about my new space, as we haven’t signed the papers yet — but it’s bigger and nicer than my current studio space, and just a few blocks away from my current studio. Short move! (distance-wise, anyway)

Just one more thing here…This birthday has a bit of sadness to it, as Joe Kubert and I share the same birthday and this is the first year I can’t wish Joe a “Happy Birthday!” on our mutual celebratory day. I miss you, Joe. You never stopped pushing yourself and learning new things, my friend. You and your tremendous work ethic still stand as a role model for us all.

9 Responses to “Happy Birthday to Me…”

1. Benno says:

Happy Birthday Bill. Glad to hear you are getting a little reprieve on your move-I am sure that will help-though moving always sucks, moving twice would really be a pain. It was great seeing you at Dragon Con-as always!! Can’t wait to see the Blues book. Benno

Joe’s gone but you keep him alive every day and especially today. I hope you have a great Birthday and that the studio opens up soon. Like Benno, I’m looking forward to the Legends of the Blues book. I still need to pick up the Crumb album art book.

All the best,
    Tucker

3. jeremy says:

Happy birthday Bill!!!

4. happy birthday to the legend!

Dinner tonight looks even more special, as I just found out that Van Dyke Parks, an old acquaintance who became one of my recent friends, will be in attendance. Woo hoo! The music geek in me comes out and waves his freak flag high!

6. Lee says:

HaPpY BiRtHdAy Mi Amigo! I wish you many more.

7. Rick catizone says:

Happy Birthday, Bill! And many, many more!

Yes, sad about Joe Kubert passing. A few weeks ago, I had my own “Joe” pass away. Joe Kowal, one of my old partners at The Animators. A great guy and amazing illustrator and art director. But we carry their laughter and talent forward as best we can, as they helped us in our journey.

Glad to hear that the studio thing is pretty much resolved. Packing the books is easy. Lifting them is another matter.

8. jim says:

Hiya Bill
    OMG- books! Love them to death; can’t get enough of them, until I have to move. Might as well be hauling bricks.
    Joe Kubert was one of the few cartoonists whose work I would seek out in todays comic market. His drawing had it’s own texture that you could rub between your fingers. He was a robust figure that will greatly missed.
    Have a great birthday celebration with more to come.
    ciao- Jim

Belated happy birthday, Mr. Stout! And many more. Surely it would be possible to find better than mediocre pizza for your birthday bash.

I hope it was a great day.

Aaron